Right after we got married my now ex-husband joined the Marine Corps. We ended up stationed near the beach and the first home we had was only five minutes away and we went to the beach almost every day when he came home from the base. He was allowed to live off-base since we were married, although they were not happy about it.
I loved crabs and although my ex didn’t he would go and get me a bushel of crabs and take our hibachi down to the beach and cook them for me. Back then we used the salt water from the ocean although I wouldn’t do that now. That was in 1977.
Sometimes we invited our friends along for the feast. One day one of those friends who happened to be a neighbor came over and asked me if I wanted the rest of the bushel of crabs they had bought. They weren’t going to eat them. I said sure and was excited at the prospect. I got out the large pan, filled it to the top with water and had it boiling by the time he got back with them. They were in a paper bag that was falling apart. I looked at it wondering if they were going to escape the bag. However, that was the least of my worries. When I went to pick up the first crab to drop it in the water I used a pair of tongs. I wouldn’t touch them. I dropped it and it started running around the kitchen and I was barefoot. I jumped on top of the dryer and stayed there until my husband came home and stopped laughing long enough to pick it up and put it in the pot. He finished putting the rest in for me, but he was still laughing.
I enjoyed the crabs anyhow, but I was not very happy over what happened and his laughing at me. That isn’t the reason he is the ex now, but it came close, ha ha!
Hey there! Welcome to the 8th annual Just Jot it January challenge! This year is going to be far simpler than the last couple of years. One prompt per day, link to that post, that’s it. Details below.
But why should you participate in this challenge? To keep the ol’ fingers warm and meet up with an awesome blogging community, that’s why! Just Jot it January, AKA JusJoJan, is a challenge to write a post every day of the month of January. We’ve grown from a handful of participants in 2014 to close to fifty for the past couple of years. Let’s see if we can make it to sixty this year!
Here are the JusJoJan Rules:
1. Just Jot It January starts January 1st, but it’s never too late to join in! Here, we run on the honour system; the “jot it” part of JusJoJan means that anything you jot down, anywhere (it doesn’t have to be a post, it can even be a grocery list), counts as a “jot.” If it makes it to your blog that day, great! If it waits a week to get from a sticky note to your screen, no problem!
2. I’ll post prompts at 2am my time (GMT -5). The prompt will be the word in quotation marks in the title of my 2am post. You don’t have to follow the prompt every day, but that will be where you leave your link for others to see. You’ll get a prompt for every day except Wednesday, when the prompt is simply my One-Liner Wednesday and on Saturday, when your prompt will be the Friday Reminder and Prompt for #SoCS, which will appear at about 9:30am Friday. Each prompt post will include the rules.
3. Please ping back or link to the daily prompt. To ping back, just copy the URL from the daily prompt post, and paste it anywhere in your post. Check to make sure your link shows up where you want it to, and go back occasionally to see other bloggers’ entries – the more you visit others, the more they’ll visit you! Note: A) The newest pingbacks will be at the top of the comments section. B) Ping backs only work if you’re blogging on WordPress. Everyone else must paste a link manually.
4. Tag your post JusJoJan and/or #JusJoJan.
5. Write anything! Any length will do! It can even be a photo or a drawing – you’re going to title it, right? There’s your jot!
6. If your post is NSFW, do not ping back. Please leave your link in the comments with a warning.
7. If you’d like to, use the JusJoJan badge so that others can find your post more easily.
Advocate for mental health and invisible illnesses
New Author’s Website –http://www.tessadeanauthor.com
Author – Old Writing – http://www.finallyawriter.com
About my life – http://www.tessacandoit.com
Author of a book, a work in progress on the blog, https://tessacandoit.com/government-property-a-memoir-as-a-military-wife/
Highlighted chapters are done and ready to be read.
I am also a youtuber in the authortube section on writing. See my videos here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSpNS-6gfJ0s8eD1berLwQg